Setting the Animal Summary
Before you can enrol animals to one of your Phase / Experiment groups, you must set the Animal Summary details to record the total number of animals that are to be used within your study.
The total number of animals to be used should have been calculated using a relevant power calculation. The NC3Rs EDA system can be used to help you calculate the total number of animals required.
To capture the animal total to be used, click on the Animal Summary tab and the screen below will display:
To enrol animals in your study, a few prerequisites must have been completed:
- Your study must belong to an approved Protocol record.
- Your study must be have been activated (which means it must have been approved).
- It cannot be in draft mode.
- You must have defined the total number of animals to be used on your study.
- You must have allocated the cages and specific animals to be used on your study to the protocol under which your study is approved.
- To do this, see the Workbench function which explains how to assigned cages and animals to protocols.
- You must have defined your study with relevant phases, experiment groups and test methods.
Once the above pre-conditions are satisfied, when you navigate through the phase and experiment groups, the Enrol button on the screen below will be activated.
When you press the Enrol animal button, a list of available animals will display, as shown below.
You can select one, several or all animals displayed by checking the tick box(es) on the left side of the screen. Press the Enrol button to add the selected animals to your experiment group.
Access your study and experiment to view the currently enrolled mice – as shown in the example screen below. Make sure you press the Edit Study button (top right)
The screen will show an X next to each enrolled mouse. Click on the X shown below to unenrol them.
You will be prompted to confirm you do want to unenroll them. Press OK to confirm.
You can then add this animal to a different Phase / Experiment group. When you click on the Enrol button, this animal just unenrolled will now appear, ready to add to your new Experiment group.